Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Why Was I Born?


What questions does a man ask who has been stripped of everything? In just a few moments’ time, Job lost his children, his health, and all his earthly possessions. Job 3:11 tells us that he didn’t curse God, but he did curse the day of his birth. “Why was I ever born? What is the purpose of my life?” He cried out in anguish. 

When the storms of life come, things get overwhelming, our troubles intensify, and we cannot take the pain or grief another minute, like Job, we can wish we had never been born. "Why then did you bring me out of the womb? I wish I had died before any eye saw me." Job 10:18

If you subscribe to the evolutionary theory, the answer is obvious. There is no purpose for your life, for you exist by accident, by random occurrences over billions of years of time. 

The Bible, however, teaches that there is life after death. This is just a place where God is preparing me so that I might dwell with Him forever. The tests, the trials, the hardships, the disappointments are all intended to show me how temporary earthly things are, and teach me to live for the eternal and not for the present. 

Why was I born? Why were you born? He created us to know and trust Him, that we might dwell with God in the glory of His kingdom forever. 

Father, teach us to trust in You, knowing that our lives are in Your hands. We know that the enemy can do no more than what You allow him to do. As we stumble or fail a test, it is only that we might see how weak we are so that we will trust You more. 

In Jesus’ Name, Amen. 

Pastor Chuck Smith
Wisdom For Today