Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Loving Others As Yourself


There was a time in my life when I could not love others or myself in the way God intended. I was giving the best wrong I had. My sin had caused me to separate myself from God and I was experiencing an identity crisis. I simply did not know that I did not know!

Fortunately, God's hand of protection was on me. Just when I was not certain if things could get worse, He pulled me from the muck. In a moment of true surrender, I began to see what real redemption is, and it includes a transformation and restoration like I never knew existed!

Once I was fully set free by The Son, I began to seek Him with all my heart. I was tasting The Living Waters of renewal and sanctification and, for the first time ever, I began to see myself as God sees me. I finally understood that my identity is hidden in Christ and experienced the gift of Grace!

Once I saw myself through the compassionate Christ lens, I was then able to begin loving others as I love myself....to make an effort to look past the hurts...separate the sins from the sinners (including myself!)...trying to see my fellow human beings as God created them...and through God's Perfect Love, get past the differences that divide us and create confusion (tool of the enemy!). From that sprang a love for others that grows as I grow in my authentic identity.

Friends, love and hate do not exist together. And when Jesus gave us this commandment, He did not discriminate. It is "love your neighbor as yourself" PERIOD! If we follow these commandments...love Him and seek Him first, we are able to unconditionally love ourselves and love our neighbor in the same way.

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35)

by Christa Walton Winn