Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Cure for Fear

Now the Lord spoke to Paul in the night by a vision, “Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent; for I am with you…”
Acts 18:19-10

Everywhere Paul preached Jesus Christ, the  people rose up against him.  He had been beaten, imprisoned, and stoned. In Thessalonica he had to sneak out of town at night.  Those in Berea drove him out of town. But these were all fairly civil places.  Corinth, however – where Paul now finds himself  -- was a rough, wicked city.  No doubt Paul felt anxious.  No doubt he worried about the Jews who held his fate in their hands.  “Don’t be afraid…for I am with you. “ Therein lies the cure for fear – The realization of God’s presence. 

Paul wrote to the Romans, “If God is for us , who can be against us?”  (Romans 8:31).  David said, “The Lord is on my side, I will not fear. What can man do to me?” (Psalm 118:6).  The Lord said to the prophet Isaiah, “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with MY righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
Are you going through uncertain times? Remember the One who said, “ I will never leave you or forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5) You face nothing alone. Your God is with you. 


Father, we thank You for the comfort of Your presence with us in the midst of the dark nights, in the midst of the hours of discouragement, and in times of fear.
Amen. 

Pastor Chuck Smith