Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Change Is the Sincerest Apology


Not a gift. Not a "I'm so sorry...it won't happen again." But a true change in behavior that reflects a truly changed heart.

It's easy to say sorry in the moment. It's easy to say what is needed to "fix" the moment and make things right. But it's a LOT harder to be honest with ourselves that our behavior or what we are doing is causing issues, hurt, or confusion, and that addressing it is going to be the best solution. 

I don't know about you, but sometimes I have to learn things the hard way. Sometimes some of the same things have to happen over and over and over again, until I finally come to the end of myself and admit to God that I desperately need His help in an area. And you know what? Every moment this happens, I am so so grateful that I have. So grateful that I can quit "trying" on my own, and invite Somone greater into it, to help show me what needs to change. It's defeating to try in our own strength, and fail time and time again. But when you can finally invite God in and ask for HIS strength and wisdom to go forward? You begin to change from within in. And it's beyond freeing. It's beyond incredible.

Broken promises and unchanged behavior only damage our relationships with people and end up hardening our own hearts toward them and to God in the end. But setting aside the pride that rules us, and admitting we are weak and we need God's help, is what leads to change, growth, and a softened heart towards not just others, but ourselves, too. It's healing to admit our weaknesses. It's a relief to admit our brokenness. And it's incredibly transforming when we begin to see God Himself change us.

So whether it's you who needs to change, or someone around you. Take it to God. If it's you, admit it, and if it is others, pray for them to see and recognize it. Either way, you need God brought into it.