Friday, October 20, 2017

Church Discord

The Church is supposed to be a safe place. Sometimes you may have found it to be just like the world in some ways, and this can bring about disillusionment and disappointment. The politics and favoritism that occur at times within the walls of the church don’t go along the principles of God’s Word.

When you experience hurt due to church discord, resist the temptation to withdraw and point your finger, calling those around you in the fellowship “hypocrites.” No good comes from that. God desires that you be part of the solution rather than a contributor to the problem. Ask Him clearly to show you ways that you can make a difference. All churches need to grow in this area.

As believers, we need to remember that we are the family of God, the body of Christ. We must be a light in the darkness. We cannot do that if we’re not living in unity.

Heavenly Father,

I often don’t realize I’m part of the problem when I’m just listening to gossip. I get interested in what’s being said and it draws me in slowly. Before I know it, I’m commenting and making assumptions. Sometimes I even pass on the information whether or not I know it’s accurate. Please, Father, help me to call this what it is. Gossip. It has no place within my church family. Please help me to realize that I’m getting involved sooner and give me the strength to stay out of it.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

- Emily Biggers -